Sunday, May 16, 2010

Audit Again

So, I am reviewing the audit code that I have written.  Following the review of some posts by a friend, I am going to write the next version of the audit functionality that I finished a while back (a whole 2-4 weeks). So, using that as a basis, and ensuring that I maintain the aims set out in the previous version (for a refresher, go here).

Now, the aims for the next version are as follows:

  • Process logging, not just a generic log table, but one that is based on each process so that the logging system can differentiate between 2 processes running at the same time.  Also increased logging for better debugging of issues.
  • Allowing for the core parts of the audit to be in the line of business database, but still archiving to a separate database.  The audit should be configurable so that it can either run out of the archive database or the line of business database, or both (where the business has 2 audited databases there should only be one archive database).
  • Rename the data objects so that they make logical sense.
  • Further refractor the code so that there are as many re-usable parts as possible.
  • Use the 2010 Visual Studio 2008 Database solution template to write the code in.

That is all I can think of as improvements for now.  If I think of anything else that I would like to add to the next version, I will let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment